Microsoft has announced the availability of Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22621.891 and 22623.891 in the beta channel.
Task manager improvements
Microsoft has highlighted the arrival of a set of task manager enhancements rolled out with this release.
Filter processes*: Microsoft brings process filtering to Task Manager. This is the main feature request from users to filter/search for processes. You can filter using binary name, PID or publisher name. The filtering algorithm matches the context keyword with all possible matches and displays them on the current page. The filter is also applied when you move from one page to another. You can also use the keyboard shortcut ALT+F to focus on the filter area. This is a useful feature if you want to isolate a process or a group of processes and want to take action or just monitor the performance of the filtered processes.
Better theme support: Microsoft has added the ability to use your favorite theme in Task Manager, regardless of which theme is active in Windows. You can set it in the Task Manager configuration page
Task Manager now also supports themes for in-application dialog boxes. All dialogs, except “Run new task” and the Properties dialog, now support themes and adhere to the application-specific theme or Windows theme.
Enhanced Efficiency Mode dialog box*: Microsoft has made it easier to apply Efficiency Mode and gives you the option to disable the confirmation dialog. You can make changes in the Efficiency mode dialog box by unchecking Don’t ask me again or you can enable/disable Task Manager settings.
Fixes in build 22623.891:
[Barre des tches et barre d’tat systme]
- When using the lower right edge gesture to see quick settings, the taskbar should no longer get stuck in the expanded state (instead of disappearing in the collapsed state).
- Fixed an issue that caused the Do Not Disturb icon to disappear in Do Not Disturb mode.
- The new Show Hidden Icons dropdown animation should now be consistent with other taskbar dropdowns.
- The Show hidden icons hover background color should now match your accent color if “Show accent color on start menu and taskbar” is enabled in Settings* > Personalization*> Colors.
- Fixed several explorer.exe crashes affecting taskbar performance.
Fixes for both Build 22621.891 & Build 22623.891:
- New! You can back up applicable settings to your Microsoft account. You can also synchronize these settings on any Windows device and in Microsoft Office.
- We fixed an issue that affected File Explorer. Sometimes he couldn’t locate the files.
- We fixed an issue that affected the CopyFile function. It could sometimes have returned error 317*: ERROR_MR_MID_NOT_FOUND.
- We fixed an issue that affected process creation. Sometimes the feature failed to create security audits for it and other related audit events.
- We fixed an issue that affected landscape printing in Microsoft Edge. The printout was incorrect. This issue occurred when you used Microsoft Defender Application Guard.
- We fixed an issue that affected Microsoft Defender when it was not the primary antivirus. Microsoft Defender failed to disable passive mode. This issue occurs when you disable Smart App Control (SAC).
- We added .wcx to the list of dangerous extensions that some application control policies do not allow.
- We fixed an issue that affected a computer account. Using non-standard characters can stop cleaning of Out of Box Experience (OOBE) accounts.
- We fixed an issue that affected the Windows Firewall service. It wouldn’t start when you enabled the Ignore blocking rules option.
- We fixed an issue that could affect apps running on Windows Lockdown Policy (WLDP). They might have stopped working.
We are investigating reports that audio has stopped working for some insiders in recent versions of the beta channel.
[Barre des tches et barre d’tat systme]
- Taskbar sometimes flickers when transitioning from desktop to tablet position.
- The taskbar takes longer than expected to switch to the optimized touch version when switching between desktop and tablet position.
[Gestionnaire des tches]
- [NOUVEAU] Filtering by publisher name does not match correctly on the Processes page.
- [NOUVEAU] Some services may not display on the Services page after applying filtering.
- [NOUVEAU] If a new process starts while a filter is defined, that process may appear for a fraction of a second in the filter list.
- [NOUVEAU] Delete key and tooltip not working on filter input box.
- [NOUVEAU] Some dialogs may not display in the correct theme when applied from the Settings page of Task Manager.
- [NOUVEAU] The data content area of the Processes page may flash once when theme changes are applied in the Settings page of Task Manager.
- [NOUVEAU] We are investigating an issue where Task Manager is not displaying light and dark content correctly, resulting in unreadable text. This happens when your mode in Settings > Personalization > Colors is set to Custom – as a workaround for now, please switch it to Light or Dark.
What do you think of the improvements made to the task manager? Which do you find most interesting?